Last Updated on April 13, 2021 by scottkandh
Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 marked the 9th anniversary month of blogging. This post looks at the past as well as looking into the future to see what can lay ahead and to make monetizing my blog a monthly income hopefully within a year’s time-frame.
Affiliate link masking program was one of the reasons I think that my numbers have slightly risen. I purchased the program called Thirsty Affiliates. I’m curious to see if makes a substantial difference when I look at the end of the month. Below I’ve summarized the affiliate numbers.
March 2021: Traffic Report
The table below shows a summary of my blog’s traffic report and goals for March. The goals were written on the 3rd of March, 2021. The results are the date of this post, April 13th, 2021.
I encourage you to copy this and update it for yourself for your monthly goals:
Monthly Goals – March 2021
|Posts (@ 177)||190||188||Close|
|Subscribers (@ 43)||44||44||x|
|Pinterest Impressions (monthly)||200K||300K||x|
|Tailwind Engagement Rate||12.5%||12.2%||No, but close!|
|Tailwind Community member||+1 (@ 13)||13||No|
|Tailwind Affiliate (@ 15) clicks||30||137||x|
|Canva Affiliate (@ 0) clicks||1||66||?|
|Monster Insights @1)||2||37||?|
|Bluehost (unknown – *)||NA||37||x|
|Siteground (unknown – *)||NA||18||x|
It’s a heck of a lot easier to keep track of the number of affiliate clicks with ThirstyAffiliates rather than going to each and every affiliate link. It’s a one place shopping for your affiliate links. The trick now is how to get my visitors to click on the Affiliate links.
Income and Expenses Report
So far, my earnings are:
Tailwind – $15 (one at $15). My e-mails reflect three; however, the program only reflects one so I have to go with the one.
Constant Contact – $75
Total = $90.00
Currently, I don’t plan to put in my expenses until “after” I’ve proven to myself that my blog is profitable (which for “planning purposes” is July 1, 2021). Nonetheless, here’s a table for you to use for your expenses:
|Hosting ($ )||Paid for by: ☐ mo. ☐ yr.|
|Domain ($ )||Paid for by: ☐ mo. ☐ yr.|
|Canva||$ 12.95 monthly|
|Profit (Revenue – Expenses)||$|
Unfortunately, at the present time, my profit exceeds my expenses. But the goal is looking forward and the next three months are heavily concentrated on monetizing the blog with affiliate links and finding the best affiliate link masking program.
Blog’s Upcoming things
1. I’ve been putting primary emphasis on creating graphics for Pinterest (my Star Trek pins). Thus I haven’t been putting any emphasis into my blog posts for Motivational Quotes and Norman Rockwell paintings.
I’ve added a new page for M*A*S*H. I’ve got an incredibly long way to go and I’ll be adding one season per month so it’s going to take me a long time to finish this page. But I have got the introductory pins for the seasons 1 – 4 and the featured pin. As mentioned earlier, my primary focus right now is Star Trek pins because it’s driving traffic to my blog.
2. To-Do list item: Put all of the plug-ins that I use on the Free Resources Library page.
3. I’ve purchased a couple of books to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop CC. I’m hoping to make better pins for Star Trek – The Next Generation. It’s going to take some time and practice. It’s a lot harder making graphics with Photoshop than it is to use Canva. But the advantage is that you’re able to get rid of a lot of extra pixel space and make the graphic closer to what you might have conceptualized. I’ve gotten a lot better at using Adobe Photoshop and it’s just going to require a lot more practice to make pins that take off and are as good as Michael Schuh’s pins. I continue to study his pins so that I can use some of his techniques and perfect them.
Pinterest Challenge for April 2021
Here’s a summary of the Pinterest strategy that I’ve been using and will continue to use:
I’ve abandoned my previous strategy of pinning at least 40 times per day (comprised of – see below).
Now I aim to make at least one new pin per day to create fresh content and it’s working. I’m noticing leaps and bounds. I’m noticing a notable improvement in Pinterest followers that for a long time was fluctuating back and forth, and I’m pinning (from Tailwind) one or two pins to my other group boards. I challenge myself to pin regularly on Pinterest, in order to gain more blog traffic.
- 25 miscellaneous pins from Tailwind to Pinterest boards.
- 10 through Motivation and Inspiration – this is on-hold till I finish all of my Star Trek – The Next Generation pins. No ETA.
- 3 through Faith (on hold at the moment)
- 10 new pins in Norman Rockwell paintings (on hold at the moment)
- Add a minimum of 100 pins per month with Tailwind Create (avg 3 day)
- Therefore, I’m creating approximately 13 fresh new pins per day.
- Following people that have a blog similar to my niche.
If you like my blog, please consider joining my Tailwind Community. The link is provided below for you to join. I look forward to seeing you in my Community. This Tailwind Community is for most niches. Please keep it clean and follow the Tribe rules. I have a dozen Group boards that cover a variety of popular topics. I would love it if there were more participants in the Community to have your pins and mine grow.
By the numbers
As I mentioned earlier (in another post), I had nearly 700 followers, I’ll plan on closely analyzing this information when it gets closer to July of 2021. That’s a long way for now. Hopefully, with a new Pinterest account, I’ll still be able to get at least 500 followers. I’ll give myself another five months to grow my following and I can look at the stats in May 2021 to see if I’ll be looking at 500 or 1,000 followers as initially planned for July 1st, 2021. It appears that with 402 followers as of April 13th, 2021 I should be able to reach my July 2021 goal of 500 – 1,000 followers. My goal is to get 45 Pinterest followers per month which average 1 1/2 per day.
|July 2020||16 Oct 2020||Nov 2020||Dec 2020|
|Pinterest Followers||0||466||700 > 75||153|
|Jan 2021||Feb 2021||Mar 2021||Apr 2021|
|Pinterest Followers||May 2021||June 2021||July 2021||August 2021|
|Pinterest Followers||Sept 2021||Oct 2021||Nov 2021||Dec 2021|
Did it work?
From Nov – Jan 2021, I noticed a substantial marked improvement in the visitors to my blog and subscribers. Now I just need to get some information about what’s the correct thing to do when people subscribe to the blog. I’ll share that information with you when I find out. I’ve sent out some e-mails but haven’t gotten any nibbles. But it’s worth a try.
Things I have learned during my nine months as a blogger (that weren’t mentioned earlier).
- I’ve made it a practice to look at the people that are saving my pins to look and follow their boards. Especially for ones that have good Star Trek pins.
- I’m trying to answer blogging questions on Facebook so I believe that is helping traffic too.
My blogging achievements
These are things that I am proud to have achieved in the last 9 months:
- One of my blog posts (Star Trek – The Original Series pins) has reached the magic number of over 4,000 total shares. I hope to have the same success with my Star Trek TNG pins once I’ve finished working on season three TOS pins.
Announce the results finally!
- My blog has been nominated for “Best Newcomer of the Year” for the Infinity Blog Awards 2021. I’m excited because this competition is one that would let the world know my blog’s worth and value. Furthermore, the nominee, finalist, or winner badge/status should increase the trust my customers have for my blog. I eagerly await the announcement of the 2021 finalists awards on March 15th, 2021. Note: 2020 awards were canceled during COVID. I don’t plan to post the badge/status until after I’ve been notified of the results.
Goals for my blog’s tenth month
- Finish up the third season of Star Trek – TOS pins
- Then start working on Star Trek – TNG pins
- Goal of a total of 9,000 pins by 3/31/2021. As of 4/12/2021, I’m at 7,809.
- Goal Engagement Rate of 14% (in Tailwind). As of 4/12/2021, the rate is at 12.2%.
- Earn money from my Affiliate programs (mainly Tailwind and Bluehost) on-going. I need to be more diligent in this arena. But right now without people subscribing I’ve gotten a little lax in this arena. So it’ll require another look if I start getting some more subscribers.
- I was surprised that I have 13 Affiliate links (see Monthly Goals at the top). That number of 13 affiliate links happens to coincidentally match the total number of clicks. So I’m keeping a close eye on the number of clicks (that’s available to be seen in ShareASale) to watch for an increase in numbers. I’m not expecting to see much of a difference so even one or two extra clicks is a step in the right direction.
Goals for after blog has been around for one whole year.
- Strongly hoping for at least 500 to 1,000 Pinterest followers, July 1, 2021.
- Overjoyed if I have at least 12 subscribers on the Blog.
- Seeking for 15 fresh pins/day, hoping to have 10,000 pins / 500 repins.
How long have you been blogging for?
If you’re a blogger, drop me a line (Bloggers helping Bloggers). I’m hoping to hear what kind of ideas you might have to collaborate to build each other’s blog.
Related posts that you might want to read on my website: